Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Chicken with Winter Vegetables

Here’s a good one. I cooked it tonight and MDW, who never finishes her first serving, went back for seconds. I was 2 for 4 with the kids, but they have colds so I think I will do better next time. I think I may also try adding some different vegetables - just to mix things up. I served it alone this time, but I think it would go really well with my mashed redskin potatoes.

2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ c crème sherry
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cans of whole leaf spinach, drained
½ c melted butter
3lbs chicken breast
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350°. Slice chicken across grain into ½ inch thick medallions.

Add first five ingredients in a large skillet and sauté until soft, adding water as needed. Add spinach to the mix and continue to cook until mixture is thickened and excess moisture is cooked off.

Pour melted butter into a 9x13 baking dish and layer in the chicken. Spread the vegetable mix over the chicken. Cover the top with the mozzarella.

Cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Turn oven up to broil and cook until cheese browns – 3 to 5 minutes.

Slice in dish and serve with a slotted spoon to allow liquid to remain in baking dish.

2 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Ern said...

I'm gonna have to try this one. I love anything with red bell peppers, and my husband loves anything with cheese. (And I don't dislike the cheese, myself!)

 
At February 23, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Ern said...

Had everything in the house, so I made it tonight - big hit! Very tasty.

I made minor modifications: cut the recipe in half(ish) since there are just two of us, used frozen instead of canned spinach (I've never seen canned spinach?) and regular sherry (it's what I have in the cupboard). What is creme sherry like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home